The Blonde Abroad is a top female travel blogger who has put the glamour back into travel writing. After making the leap from business suit to bathing suit, the Californian traveller abandoned her corporate finance career to stay in hostels for under $25 per night.
By visiting more than 40 countries on her travels, The Blonde Abroad (aka Kiersten Rich) has become the glamour queen of the travelling community. Proving you should never say ‘no’ to adventures, or otherwise you’ll lead a very dull life. Kiersten has become a roaring American success story and has done so by exploring the world on holiday.
More importantly Kiersten has shown it doesn’t cost the earth to go travelling. As you don’t need to just survive on your travels anymore. If you’re whip smart and maintain a popular travel blog then you can prosper too!
With its millennial flair for visual storytelling, The Blonde Abroad has proved an inspiration for young travellers looking to ditch the 9-5.
Speaking exclusively to HostelsClub she talks about her future travel plans, shooting cans in New Zealand and re-populating the Earth…
1. If you were to re-live your decision to quit your job and go travelling is there anything you would do differently?
I honestly don’t know if I’d do anything differently. Everything that happened during that time in my life taught me a lot about my limits emotionally and professionally. I’m also glad that I didn’t jump straight into pursuing blogging as a business then either because I was able to travel for myself and fully immerse myself in the adventure.
2. What are you top five favourite countries you’ve visited on your travels?
Iceland, Bolivia, Spain, Jordan and Belgium
3. You’ve travelled to over 43 countries on your adventures, so what are your travel plans for 2015? How do you keep things fresh when you’ve visited so many amazing places?
I’ve definitely made a point to be “ABROAD” so I haven’t actually done much USA travel. For the first part of 2015, I’ll be doing quite a bit of travel domestically but that includes a lot of brand new experiences.
I’m heading off on an all-American road trip through the south soon, which is the first time I’ll travel to that part of the US. I’ve actually only been to 12 states (yikes!) so I’m super excited. I’ll be heading to Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans (for Mardi Gras) and Houston.
4. If the world was coming to an end and you could only travel to one destination in the world, where would it be and why?
I’d be on Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic flight to space I suppose! Though, I’m not sure I’d want the responsibility of re-populating the Earth.
5. What was the most dramatic or embarrassing moment that happened to you when you were travelling?
I have a lot of blonde moments in my travels. When I was in New Zealand, my friend had taken me to his family farm to try shooting a shotgun for the first time. I only shot a couple cans off a fence, but wanted to keep the bullet casing as a little souvenir, so I slipped it into my purse.
I was flying home to the US the next day and totally forgot about the bullet casing in my purse. The metal detector went off and they pulled out the casing. We literally just stared at each other wide-eyed for the longest few seconds of my life and then the guard pulled me into a back room for questioning. Luckily, they believed me!
6. You have a highly immersive website that includes lots of rich new media. Travel blogging is evolving – do you have any new features planned for The Blonde Abroad? What’s new for 2015?
There are a lot of new and exciting things coming up in 2015, but if I told you, I’d have to kill you.
… just kidding.
I can hint that there will be some big changes and even some once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for my readers to travel with me. But, you’ll have to stay tuned!