Berlin Gay Pride is the biggest European gay parade and is perfect for backpackers wanting to have a good time on a budget. Attracting 500, 000 revellers every summer, you can enjoy Gay Pride parties and special events taking place from May 29th.
The Christopher Street Day (CSD) parade takes place this year on June 27th 2015. CSD is a gay landmark that has been held in Berlin since 1979 and is a spectacular experience for travellers of all sexual backgrounds.
Every summer, cities across the world celebrate Gay Pride, which heralds the contribution of the LGBT community by promoting equality and gender diversity. It’s one of the most popular and exciting festivals you can partake in worldwide.
Berlin is a budget friendly city packed full of gay friendly hostels and cheap hotels. Book your holiday here and celebrate Gay Pride in one of Europe’s coolest cities. Get ready for Christopher Street Day this year by celebrating the weekend before at the Lesbian and Gay City Festival at Nollendorfplatz.
Guests can experience Berlin Gay Pride by attending club nights in hipster Kreuzberg to queer film screenings. You can even enjoy the CSD festival on a boat if you head over to the CSD auf der Spree for a river tour. Extravagantly dressed guests wave pom poms on a boats before heading out to massive street parties. After dark a huge Pride party will close CSD.
Christopher Street Day History
Christopher Street Day is held in memory of an uprising by the gay community against police brutality in Greenwich Village, New York on June 27, 1969. In tribute to their bravery, Christopher Street Day was celebrated in Bremen and Berlin from 1979 onwards.
Practical tips for the CSD Parade
The CSD parade will end up in front of Brandenburger Gate this year. 2015’s route leaves from Kurfürstendamm at Olivaer Platz and goes through Wittenbergplatz – Nollendorfplatz – Einemstrasse – Lützowplatz – Klingelhöferstrasse – Hofjägerallee-Siegessäule – Strasse des 17. Juni until it finally arrives at Brandenburger Tor.
Opening Hours: 27th of June 2015 – 12:00 – 17:00
Starting point: Kurfürstendamm/Olivaer Platz
Parade tips: The parade starts at 12:30 at Kurfürstendamm/Olivaer Platz, passes Wittenbergplatz, Nollendorfplatz, Lützowplatz, and ends at the Siegessäule.
Nearest Train (S-Bahn): S+U Zoologischer Garten Bhf (S5 S7 and S75)
– U Kurfürstendamm (U1, U9)
– U Uhlandstr (U1)
– S+U Zoologischer Garten Bhf (U12, U9)
Gay friendly budget hostels in Berlin
- SleepCheap is a low cost hostel situated in the heart of Berlin-Charlottenburg. Gay friendly and super clean with free Wi-Fi available throughout the building, SleepCheap hostel offers budget dorms and rooms to all travellers. Rooms are available from €11.56.
- JETpak Flashpacker is a top rated hostel situated in central Berlin. Offering super cheap rooms with free Wi-Fi, the budget hostel is perfect for gay friendly travellers arriving in the German capital. Rooms are available from €15.36.
- EastSeven Berlin Hostel is a relaxed chilled hostel for gay travellers wanting to take it easy during Christopher Street Day. With their multi-lingual staff and clean rooms and dorms, the EastSeven Berlin Hostel is a calm place to enjoy Berlin on holiday. Rooms are available from €19.29.
- 36 ROOMS Hostel Berlin-Kreuzberg is a stylish hostel situated in Berlin’s counter-culture district. Offering clean rooms with free Wi-Fi, the gay friendly property is an excellent choice if you prefer chic vintage surroundings on holiday. Rooms are available from €17.87.