Chinese New Year takes place this year on Thursday February 19 and 2015 is the Year of the Sheep according to the Chinese zodiac. Hundreds of thousands of revellers will be celebrating the festival and London’s Chinese New Year celebrations are predicted to be the largest outside of Asia.
With designer hostels and low cost accommodation available across Europe. You can save big money celebrating one of the year’s most iconic events. Experience fragrant colours, parades and gorgeous Chinese restaurants as you warm up in time for spring.
Book your holiday now and celebrate the Year of the Sheep in a top European city!
London’s Chinese New Year celebrations are the biggest in Europe. Hundreds of thousands of people will be arriving in central London to wish each other “Xin Nian Kuai Le” (Happy New Year in Mandarin) or “San Nin Faai Lok” (in Cantonese).
Chinese New Year festivities will be taking place in Trafalgar Square, Chinatown and Shaftesbury Avenue. It’s the perfect place for travellers wanting to enjoy a delicious Chinese meal for under ten pounds.
Highlights of the festival include a gala parade on 22 February from 10am until 6pm. Visitors will experience a glorious procession with floats, Chinese lion and dragon teams. Performances from local artists and street food stalls can be found throughout the day.
Book a hostel near Chinatown so you don’t miss any of the festivities.
Where to stay in London
- Acacia Hostel is a clean, friendly hostel situated in London’s West End and is only a few minutes away from South Kensington. Rooms are available from €16.90.
- London Eye Hostel is a super affordable youth hostel situated in the heart of central London. Only a fifteen minute walk from Big Ben, it’s perfect for new arrivals in the city. Rooms are available from €26.06
- MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park is a charming British hotel with luxury facilities situated in the heart of South Kensington. Perfect for young travellers it lies directly opposite the Natural History Museum. Rooms are available from €30.35.
Chinese New Year in Paris is one of the biggest cultural events of the year. Always a boisterous and colourful affair, the Year of the Sheep will be a massive party for travellers arriving in Paris. The main events take place in the Marais neighbourhood, Belleville district and Paris’s 13th arrondissement near Metro Gobelins.
Chinese New Year parades in Paris are renowned for their spectacular floats (ruby lanterns, terrifying dragons, lions and tigers). The main Chinatown parade leaves from Metro Gobelins, winding through towards Avenue d’Ivry in south-central Paris, where the festival reaches its spectacular climax.
Where to stay in Paris
- 3 Ducks Hostel is a legendary travel hostel renowned for its international atmosphere. Only ten minutes walk from the Eiffel Tower, this hostel is in a superb location for travellers arriving in Paris. Rooms are available from €36.64.
- Hostel Blue Planet is a city centre hostel with excellent facilities for travellers. Super clean and always friendly it offers superb value to all guests. Rooms are available from €16.55
- Peace & Love Hostel is situated in the heart of Paris and is extremely close to ‘Sacré Coeur’. Famous for its in-house pub and quality beers, this hostel is an excellent place to crash. Rooms are available from €17.33.
Rome’s Italian-Chinese community will be parading down Via dei Fori Imperiali this year. Chinese New Year paintings are put up to decorate houses, carrying best wishes, and this helps to create a generous and welcoming atmosphere. It’s always a pleasure to visit the Eternal City and the Chinese New Year celebrations will only serve to make it even more special.
Where to stay in Rome
- Funny Hostel Palace is a centrally located hostel with a lively atmosphere. Perfect for first-time arrivals in the Eternal City. Rooms are available from €17.04.
- Alessandro Palace is a super cheap hostel with its own in-house bar serving drinks and complimentary satellite TV. Perfect for partying and making new friends. Rooms are available from €17.06.
- Freedom Traveller Hostel offers comfortable accommodation at very low prices and situated only five minutes away from Termini Station. Rooms are available from €17.57.
Chinese New Year in Amsterdam is one of the biggest in Europe and has a pulsating atmosphere. The Chinatown is located near the infamous De Wallen red light district and is home to the biggest Chinese Buddhist temple in the Netherlands. Always a brilliant place to go partying, the Dutch capital is proudly home to one of Europe’s most exciting Chinese New Year festivals.
Where to stay in Amsterdam
- WOW Amsterdam is a creative arts hostel with superb facilities. With its urban farm, restaurant and exhibition space, the West Amsterdam hostel is an eco-friendly place to stay on vacation. Rooms are available from €13.79.
- Amsterdam Hostel Annemarie has a superb location in Museumplein and is only a few minutes from the Van Gogh Museum. Rooms are available from €16.91.
- Amsterdam Hostel Uptown is a young friendly hostel situated in the busiest part of Amsterdam and is perfect for first time arrivals in the city. Rooms are available from €17.81.